Body Art Facility Licensing in Michigan
- Welcome to the Body Art Facility Licensing site. Public Act 375, which was enacted in December of 2010, indicates that individuals shall not tattoo, brand, or perform body piercing on another individual unless that tattooing, branding, or body piercing occurs at a body art facility licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
Owners or operators of body art facilities will be required to apply for a body art facility license through MDHHS.
Body art is becoming increasingly popular and the implementation of PA 375 sets statewide requirements for body art facilities aimed at decreasing the risk of transmission of bloodborne diseases such as hepatitis B (HBV), hepatitis C (HCV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- Apply for or Renew a Body Art Facility License This link includes the paper application as well as the link to the online application interface. License renewal period is October 1st to December 1st deadline.
- DLARA Publications on Bloodborne Infectious Diseases Bloodborne Infectious Disease Rules and the Body Art Industry and Sample Exposure Control Plan.
- MDEQ Publications on Medical Waste A List of MDEQ Publications and Guidelines on Medical Waste.
- List of Michigan Licensed Body Art Facilities List of currently licensed body art facilities in the state of Michigan. The list is up to date as of the date listed on PDF report. The list is updated on a regular basis, so check back frequently as it will change.
- Body Art Information for Local Health Departments Information on the law and requirements for body art facilities, link to My License, MIOSHA trainings, Inspection Forms, and more.
- Information for Body Art Facilities Information on PA 375 and requirements for body art facilities, how to apply for a license, MIOSHA trainings, and more.
- Body Art Information for Consumers Information on PA 375, health care concerns and aftercare instructions, to find out if a facility is licensed or to lodge a complaint against a body art facility, and more.