Liming License Details & FAQ
Expires: December 31st. Renewal applications are sent out in November.
Contact: April Hunt, Phone: 517-284-5644
Forms: Agricultural Liming License Application
Liming Material is defined as "all or any form of limestone, lime rock, marl, slag, by-product lime, industrial or factory refuse lime, water softener lime, and any other material manufactured, prepared, sold or distributed primarily to correct soil acidity."
Who needs a license?
All agricultural liming materials manufactured or distributed in Michigan must be licensed with the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) by the manufacturer/distributor
A distributor is not required to obtain a license if they are selling liming materials of a manufacturer/distributor that is already licensed and the principle mailing address of the licensed manufacturer/distributor appears on the labeling.
What does it cost to be licensed?
A $20.00 license fee is required for all or any part of a calendar year. All liming licenses expire on December 31st and must be renewed on a yearly basis. Renewal applications are sent out in November.
What type of labeling is required?
A copy of the label or invoice statement must be submitted when applying for a liming license. The label/invoice must contain the following information:
- The net weight (volume if material not sold on a scale weight basis)
- Product name
- Name and address of manufacturer or distributor
- Minimum neutralizing value in terms of calcium carbonate
- Degree of fineness expressed as minimum percentage passing through an 8-mesh, 60-mesh, and 100-mesh screen.
NOTE: Marl and refeuse lime materials (sugar factory, paper mill, carbide, water treatment, mater softener, wood ash, etc.) do not need to state the degree of fineness on the label/invoice. Instead, the minimum neutralizing value may be identified as "X" lbs per cubic yeard (expresssed as calcium carbonate equivalent).
What should I do if there are changes in company, ownership, name or address?
Any change in the ownership of a licensed firm will require an application and fee for a new license. Companies with a change of name and/or address will need to send written notification to MDARD so records can be updated accordingly.
How do I apply for a license?
- Download and print a copy of the Agricultural Liming Materials Product License Application or contact 517-241-6666.
- Complete an application for each product, include a copy of the product label or invoice, attach your check or money order made out to the State of Michigan and mail it to:
Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Pesticide & Plant Pest Management Division
Specialty Fertilizers/Bulk Storage Section
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909