Pets in State Park Campgrounds and at Boating Access Sites
With few exceptions, pets are welcomed in Michigan state parks, recreation areas and at boating access sites, but they must be accompanied at all times by responsible owners. Please remember that these public places are strange environments for your pet. It may react much differently here than at home. Children are attracted to pets and we have many injuries reported involving pets which normally are very gentle.
Pets are not allowed on designated beaches or areas used for wading or swimming. This rule is strictly enforced. Traverse City State Park and Baraga State Park have established pet-free portions of their campground. At Baraga State Park, 19 campsites have this designation. At Traverse City State Park, the south central campground loop has been designated pet-free.
Following are guidelines all pet owners are required to follow:
1. Never leave your pet unattended in your vehicle, in your camper or at your campsite.
2. Always keep your pet on a leash which must not exceed six feet in length.
3. Don't take your pet to the beach.
4. Wrap your dog's droppings in newspaper or plastic bag and discard it in a trash bin.
5. If you walk your dog, do it in an isolated part of the park.
6. Don't allow your pet to run loose at any time.
7. Don't allow your pet to be noisy. Barking dogs are a source of many complaints.
8. For your protection make sure your pet has rabies shots.
9. Don't tie your pet outside unless you are with the pet and can control it.
10. Pets are not allowed inside park buildings such as mini cabins, shower buildings or rustic cabins.
Following are boating access sites that prohibit dogs under Director's Orders:
2.108 Possession of dogs prohibited except at locations open during dates of early goose season, required clean up of pet fecal material at certain access sites and harbors.
Order 2.108 A person shall not do any of the following within the dates listed below. Locations that are open to early goose season shall be exempted from this order during the inclusive dates of the early goose season.
(1) Possess a dog from May 1 through September 14 on any of the following state-owned lands:
(a) Green Lake boating access site 3-4, section 10, T4N R11W, Allegan county.
(b) Lake Sixteen boating access site 3-9, section 16, T2N R11W, Allegan county.
(c) Lobell Lake boating access site 25-1, section 35, T5N R5E, Genesee county.
(d) Lake Fenton boating access site 25-2, section 14, T5N R6E, Genessee county.
(e) Sherman Lake boating access site 39-2, section 29, T1S R9W, Kalamazoo county.
(f) Eagle Lake boating access site 39-6, section 9, T3S R12W, Kalamazoo county.
(g) Austin Lake boating access site 39-14, section 26, T3S R11W, Kalamazoo county.
(h) Murray Lake boating access site 41-1, section 33, T8N R9W, Kent county.
(i) Lake Nepessing boating access site 44-1, T7N R9E, Lapeer county.
(j) Lake Chemung boating access site 47-1, section 10, T2N R5E, Livingston county.
(k) Crooked Lake boating access site 47-2, section 32, T1N R6E, Livingston county.
(l) Woodland Lake boating access site 47-3, section 19, T2N R6E, Livingston county.
(m) Whitmore Lake boating access site 47-4, section 32, T1N R6E, Livingston county.
(n) Clinton River cutoff boating access site 50-7, section 30, T2N R14E, Macomb county
(o) Orchard Lake boating access site 63-1, section 14, T2N R9E, Oakland county.
(p) Union Lake boating access site 63-2, section 1, T2N R8E, Oakland county.
(q) Oakland Lake boating access site 63-3, section 2, T3N R9E, Oakland county.
(r) Tackles Drive boating access site 63-4, section 13, T3N R8E,Oakland county.
(s) White Lake boating access site 63-6, section 13, T3N R7E, Oakland county.
(t) Lake Orion boating access site 63-7, section 2, T4N R10E, Oakland county.
(u) Big Lake boating access site 63-8, section 28, T4N R8E, Oakland county.
(v) Long Lake boating access site 63-9, section 1, T2N R8E, Oakland county.
(w) Crescent Lake boating access site 63-11, section 21, T3N R9E, Oakland county.
(x) Loon Lake boating access site 63-12, section 11, T3N R9E, Oakland county.
(y) Squaw Lake boating access site 63-13, section 29, T5N R10E, Oakland county.
(z) Lakeville Lake boating access site 63-14, section 27, T5N R11E, Oakland county.
(aa) Maceday Lake boating access site 63-16, section 7, T3N R9E, Oakland county.
(bb) Cedar Island Lake boating access site 63-17, section 27, T3N R8E, Oakland county.
(cc) Tipsico Lake boating access site 63-18, section 30, T4N R7E, Oakland county.
(dd) Clear Lake boating access site 75-4, section 17, T6S R12W, St. Joseph county.
(ee) Van Auken boating access site 80-7, section 33, T2S R16W, Van Buren county.
(ff) Three Mile Lake boating access site 80-8, section 21, T3S R14W, Van Buren county.
(gg) Lake Cora boating access site 80-10, section 18, T3S R14W, Van Buren county.
(2) Possess a dog from May 1 through September 15 on the premises of the Lake Ponemah boating access site 25-3, section 22, T5N R6E, Genesee county.
(3) Possess a dog from May 20 through September 10 on the premises of the Campau Lake boating access site 41-2, section 12, T5N R10W, Kent county.
(4) Possess a dog from May 20 through September 14 on the premises of the Lake St. Helen boating access site 72-14, section 21, T23N R1W, which lies north of Airport Road and east of Iroquois Road, Roscommon county.