close print view
- There will be a significant emphasis on the rights of survivors ensuring their safety, confidentiality, and autonomy.
- There will be a significant emphasis on holding batterers accountable through consistent graduated legal consequences for their behaviors.
- There will be a significant emphasis on community education/advocacy which will result in a knowledgeable public, effective legislation and appropriate advocacy efforts utilized on behalf of survivors to ensure their safety, justice, and autonomy.
- There will be significant emphasis on systems responses.
- There will be a significant emphasis on enabling the organizational success of domestic violence programs and prime sponsors to ensure appropriate outcomes to victims, their families, and the community.
To achieve these goals/ends statements the enabling legislation mandates the Domestic Violence Board to:
- Provide funding to community-based agencies for domestic violence prevention and treatment.
- Develop standards for operation of victim service programs.
- Provide technical assistance to service providers.
- Conduct research to identify means of domestic violence prevention and treatment.
- Assist the state police in setting up a reporting system for law enforcement agencies.
- Carry out educational efforts targeted to both the public and relevant professionals.
- Advocate for policies and procedures that will improve the treatment of domestic violence victims.
- Advise the legislature and governor.