Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of Human, Official Website for the State of Michigan Home
close print view

Applying for Assistance

The Department of Human Services can help you and your family with temporary assistance when times are tough. Use MI Bridges to see if you're eligible and to apply for assistance. Check Eligibility Button

Do's & Don'ts of Assistance

Your Rights & Responsibilities While Receiving Assistance The importance of immunizations, child support from an absent parent, reporting responsibilities, redetermination of eligibility, repayment of benefits, hearing rights and appeals on your benefits.
Welfare Fraud and Recoupment Consequences of Fraud and Repayment of Benefits.
Follow Work Rules and Penalties (Cash/Food Assistance) Your work rules will depend on whether you receive cash assistance, food benefits with no cash assistance, or time-limited food benefits.

What Happens When You Apply

The Application and Application Rights You must complete and submit an application to determine if you are able to get benefits.
What Happens When You Apply For Assistance? Overview of what happens after you've submitted your application.
Verification What should I bring with me when I apply for assistance?
What Happens After Your Case is Open? What you need to do after your case is open and info about other programs you may be eligible for.
Next Steps If you aren't eligible for one program, you may be eligible for others. Learn more about your options.
Cash Benefits PDF icon Benefit access dates.
Food Benefits PDF icon Benefit access dates.

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion and political beliefs.

The U.S Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination with USDA, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.

For questions about the Food Assistance Program, call 1-855-275-6424.

QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan