Strategies for Success
Best Workplaces for Commuters - A Michigan Success Story
5 Steps to Set Up Your Program
- Identify a program coordinator
Find a strong supporter of alternative transportation within your business. He or she may be willing to take on most of the work for you.
- Guaranteed Ride Home
Register for Guaranteed Ride Home, a free program which guarantees participants up to four rides in a taxi or rental car in the case of a personal emergency.
- Bring in commuter assistance
Invite a local alternative commute program consultant to an employee meeting. He or she can outline available commuting options and help dispel myths.
- Use rideshare-matching services
Available through MDOT or locally, these services help employees find a rideshare route that best matches their commute.
- Set up an information center
Display information, posters, maps and schedules. Share important information from the Web.
5 Ways to Spread the Word
- Attend a commuting meeting to show program support.
- Direct communication by company leadership, at least annually, can raise awareness.
- Publish a commuting newsletter or company-wide e-mail every quarter, or create a company rideshare Web site.
- Host a rideshare event for employees, at least annually. Rideshare Week (the first week in October), or Bike to Work Week in May, is the perfect opportunity to market rideshare options.
- Distribute flyers, announcements or letters on a quarterly basis to employees to celebrate successes and raise program awareness.
5 Strategies to Boost Success
- Carpool program: Offer incentives such as gas vouchers, gift cards, preferential parking, etc.
- Direct financial awards: Provide a transportation allowance or subsidy to reward employees who use alternative commutes.
- Start-up incentive: Offer an enrollment item such as a coffee mug, bike equipment or transit pass.
- Bicycle program: Start a bike club, provide showers/lockers, bike racks, info, prizes and equipment.
- Points program: Reward employees with points redeemable for cash or merchandise.