Skip Navigation
LARA: Unemployment Insurance Official Web Site for the State of Michigan Home
  • UIA Home
  • Sitemap
  • Contact UIA
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • close print view


    Agency: Unemployment Insurance Agency

    Q: What does the Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) legislation do? A: Public Law 110-252 allows up to 13 weeks of extended unemployment benefits in all states.

    Q: Who may be eligible for EUC benefits? A: EUC payments can be obtained by individuals who are unemployed through no fault of their own and meet regular unemployment eligibility requirements. Individuals who had a claim for regular benefits with a benefit year ending May 1, 2007 or later, which has been exhausted or has expired, may be eligible for up to 13 weeks of benefits. EUC benefits will be available to individuals who have exhausted regular unemployment compensation for half the number of weeks of regular compensation payable to the individual during their most recent benefit year. Example: If a person received 24 weeks of regular unemployment, they would get 12 weeks of EUC.

    Q: How do I apply for EUC benefits? A: In Michigan, potentially eligible individuals will be notified by mail with an application and instructions on how to apply. Initial notices should arrive by July 18, 2008. Those who receive notifications will be asked to complete and return an application. Individuals currently receiving benefits will be notified by mail prior to their last payment and asked to complete an EUC application. The week of July 6-12 is the first week for which benefits can be paid. The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) expects to begin issuing EUC benefit payments during the week of July 20-26. Unemployment benefits are typically issued for the prior two-week period after individuals certify that they were unemployed and met eligibility requirements for the two weeks.

    Q: What will my maximum EUC benefit amount be? A: Your EUC benefit amount will be the same as the amount on the regular program, up to $362.

    Q: Do I still call MARVIN? A: Yes. Call MARVIN during your appointed time or continue to report by mail if instructed by the UIA.

    Q: Do I have to register for work? A: Yes, you must register for work with the Michigan Works! Agency (MWA) office. If you are already registered, update your résumé. You may enter or update your résumé on the Internet at However, you must still report in person at an MWA office at least two to three business days before your first call to MARVIN to ensure your information is electronically transmitted to the UIA. Call 1-800 285-WORK to locate the nearest MWA office.

     Q: What about TRA (Trade Readjustment Allowances) claims? A: Individuals potentially eligible for or currently collecting TRA benefits will receive special instructions by mail. The Agency's TRA Unit will process applications and payments for EUC. Individuals with TRA claims will continue to mail in certifications and other required forms. If you have questions, please call the TRA Unit at 1-866-241-0152.

     Q: When does the EUC program end? A: Applications cannot be filed after March 28, 2009. No payments for EUC benefits will be made for any week beginning after June 30, 2009.

     Q: Are employers charged for EUC benefits? A: No. The EUC program is 100% federally funded. Since their accounts are not being charged for benefits, employers will receive no monetary determinations for EUC claims.

     Q: When should I call for more information about the extension? A: Initially, please wait for notices to be mailed. If you believe you are eligible and do not receive a notice by July 18, 2008, please call our inquiry line at 1-866-500-0017 and select option 3.

    Related Content
     •  Additional Resources
     •  Cookie usage for UIA's Internet Filed Claims Application
    QR code Home
  • LARA Home
  • UIA Home
  • State Websites

  • Accessibility Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Security PolicyPrivacy PolicyMichigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan