The Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection (OWMRP) within the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality(MDEQ), has the responsibility for reviewing annual applications for registration of scrap tire haulers under the authority of Part 169 of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended. The purpose of the registration is to identify scrap tire haulers to enable the MDEQ to ensure that scrap tires are only taken to facilities that store, dispose of, or use the tires in a manner that protects the public health, the environment, and the public trust.
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Scrap Tire Hauler Registration Application Form EQP 5133
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
Part 169, Scrap Tires, Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, Public Act 451 of 1994, as amended
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
No administrative rules
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
Any person who transports scrap tires as part of a commercial business. A person who transports more than seven scrap tires in any truck load shall be considered to be in the commercial business of transporting scrap tires.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
- A scrap tire hauler must comply with all requirements of Part 169
- Persons contracting or arranging for the removal of scrap tires shall only use a registered scrap tire hauler or a solid waste hauler who, by contract, agreement, or otherwise, is obligated to deliver the scrap tires to the legal destination identified on the scrap tire transportation record (manifest).
3. Application Submission Requirements
Annual submittal by January 31 of each year on a form provided by the MDEQ, containing all the information required by the MDEQ
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
- Submittal of required registration information on a form(s) provided by the MDEQ
5. Operational Requirements
- Submittal is to be made to the OWMRP of the MDEQ by January 31 of each year
- Maintain a scrap tire transportation record (manifest) of each load of scrap tires transported. Form EQP 5128 is the only scrap tire transportation record (manifest) form approved for use by the MDEQ.
- Provide a copy of the record to the person contracting for the removal of scrap tires and to the registered scrap tire collection site, licensed landfill, end user, processor, retailer, or recycler when the tires are delivered
- Have in their possession a copy of their current, unexpired registration form and the original copy of the manifest record covering the load being transported
- Have the current registration number issued by the MDEQ visibly displayed on the transporting vehicle
- Only dispose of scrap tires at the site identified on the manifest record
7. Appeal Process
No formal appeal process. However, the right to a contested case hearing can be created when an agency seeks to modify or terminate an existing license or entitlement. MCL 24.201 et seq.
8. Public Input Opportunities
The decision-maker in this process is the Chief of the Solid Waste Section. Complaints or comments related to a hauler may be filed with the MDEQ at any time. The complaints are investigated and if they are validated through a finding of a violation
E. MICHIGAN BUSINESS ONE STOP:
The Michigan Business One Stop (One Stop) is designed to allow businesses to interact with multiple State of Michigan departments in one place. One Stop can be found on-line at: www.michigan.gov/business. One Stop includes a set of screening questions to help your business identify the permits, licenses, and registrations needed in Michigan. We hope you give it a try. Help for using One Stop is as easy as contacting the Customer Assistance Center at 877-766-1779. They are open Monday – Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
F. Administration Agency:
Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 30241, Lansing, Michigan 48909-7741
Program Phone: 517-284-6591
- Web address: DEQ-WHMD-ReceptionDesk@michigan.gov
- Environmental Assistance Center: 1-800-662-9278, e-mail: email@example.com