Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view

    Commercial Construction/Contractor Licensing Information

    Agency: Environmental Quality

    Required State License(s):

    Materials that are purchased for completion of a job, and the cost of the materials that are consumed by the contractor, these materials are ALWAYS TAXABLE. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a sales tax 518 form.

    Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. For further information about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

    Other Possible License(s): When engaged in COMMERCIAL construction/contracting ONLY, contact the LOCAL COUNTY BUILDING OFFICIAL for possible permit(s)/license(s). Many building plans subject to state permit must be reviewed prior to issuance of building permits. There are separate, concurrent reviews for each trade [i.e., plumbing, mechanical, electrical,] building codes.

    Permits are required to any construction, whether new or renovation. Permit applications can be hand-delivered or mailed to the Bureau of Construction Codes (517) 241-9313. Upon receipt of the application and the required fee, permits will be processed.

    Inspections cannot be scheduled prior to issuance of a permit number. In most cases, the request for inspection will be by telephone to the inspector. Please note that standards only apply to state administered programs. Many permits and inspections are the responsibility of local units of government and are not subject to state authority.

    All residential builders and maintenance and alteration contractors who construct, repair, alter or improve a residential or combination residential and commercial structure are required to be licensed.  Contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Commercial Services at (517) 241-9288 for licensure information or visit our website at

    For an out-of-state corporation/existing business, a "Certificate of Authority" may be obtained from the Corporation Division at (517) 241-6470 to do business with the State of Michigan.

    Permits are required for various construction activites by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.  You can find a list of permit screening questions "General Permit Information Checklist" at  In addition, persons who use chemicals that are requried to "seal asphalt parking lots or driveways" should call the Environmental Hotline at (800) 662-9278 for further information.

    Revised: 09/2013

    Related Content
     •  Child Camp License
     •  County Clerk Offices
     •  Click Here for Information About Your Business Classification Tasks
     •  Class G-2 License
     •  College or University Conference Center License
     •  Club License
     •  Construction - Infrastructure Screening Questions
     •  County Owned Airport License
     •  Class G-1 License
     •  Catering
     •  Coffee Shop
     •  Child Placing Agency License
     •  Commercial Sign Permit - Billboard Permit
     •  Child Caring Institution License
     •  Contact Us
     •  Certificate of Self-Insurance (Auto)
     •  Campground Operating License
     •  Campground Construction Permit
     •  Carnival & Amusement Safety Permit to Operate Carnival Ride
     •  Cemetery & Crematory Permits
    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan