Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    What is the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners and how do I find out more information about it?

    The National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry) is a Federal program that establishes requirements for healthcare professionals that perform physical qualification examinations for truck and bus drivers. To become a certified medical examiner (ME) and be listed on the National Registry, healthcare professionals must complete training and testing on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) physical qualifications standards and guidelines. The National Registry web site is accessible to carriers, drivers, enforcement officials, and the general public.

    All healthcare professionals whose scope of practice authorizes them to perform physical examinations, as defined by the state in which they practice, and who intend to perform physical examinations and issue medical certificates for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers to meet the requirements of Section 391.41 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) must be certified and listed on FMCSA's National Registry by May 21, 2014.

    Follow this link to go to a PDF document that contains several other frequently asked questions about the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  How can I have the designation removed?
     •  What documentation is required to obtain the veteran designation?
     •  Do I qualify for veteran designation if I am on active duty?
     •  Am I required to obtain the designation?
     •  Will my veteran status be shared with other organizations?
     •  Can my spouse and dependents have the veteran designation?
     •  Does the veteran designation qualify me to receive veteran benefits?
     •  Is there a cost for obtaining the veteran designation?
     •  How do I add the veteran designation to my driver's license or ID card?
     •  What if I already have a veteran designation from another state?
     •  What is the veteran designation?
     •  When can veterans apply for the veteran designation?
     •  Who is eligible to have a veteran designation on their license or ID card?
     •  How can I obtain a copy of my DD214?
     •  Are wired or wireless earpieces allowed?
     •  Are CMV drivers allowed to use push-to-talk mobile communications equipment while driving?
     •  Are holders of a commercial driver's license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?
     •  What drivers are covered by the federal rule? Drivers who operate a CMV intrastate or interstate? Drivers who hold a CDL? Or is it operation of all CMVs?
     •  What is required of the employer in terms of company policy or training?
     •  Is dialing a phone number allowed under this rule?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan