Michigan Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program
TRAINING COURSE EASY AS 1-2-3!!
- Visit training locator and register for a safety course.
- Receive certificate of completion by approved sponsor (with successful completion of safety course).
- Visit branch office for vision and written knowledge test, present certificate of completion and pay $13.50 to obtain CY endorsement (additional license fees may apply).
Administering the Michigan Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program is an important aspect of the Michigan Department of State's traffic safety mission. Michigan's program uses safety standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation to ensure consistent and comprehensive training. All motorcycle riders must take a knowledge test and successfully complete a motorcycle safety class or pass a rider skills test in order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement: which is required to legally ride on public streets and highways. Successful completion of an approved course allows you to waive the rider skills test requirement. Courses are designed for novices and experienced riders. Persons who are required to complete a motorcycle rider safety training course include teens ages 16 and 17, and anyone 18 or older who has twice failed the rider skills test. The Michigan Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program helps riders lay the foundation for the good judgment, skills and experience which are required for operating a motorcycle safely. Returning or experienced riders can also benefit from training by renewing or sharpening the skills necessary for safe motorcycling.
Public and Private Rider Safety Training Courses
Alternate option to obtain CY endorsement
Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) Process
- Visit a Secretary of State branch office to take the vision and written knowledge test and obtain a TIP. The cost for the TIP is $13.50.
- Practice riding up to 180 days with endorsed motorcyclist
- Schedule and pass rider skills test
- Take skills test certificate to branch to obtain CY endorsement $9.00 (additional license fees may apply).