Driver's License & State ID
- Sign up for SOS News! Find out everything that's going on in the Department of State by reading the SOS-Express Newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your email inbox or to receive texts, go to our sign-up page.
- It takes approximately three weeks to receive an EDL or Enhanced ID. If you must travel before receiving the EDL or Enhanced ID, check the document requirements with the U.S. Border Crossing at 313-393-3793.
- Graduated Driver's License Restrictions Driving restrictions for teens with a Level 2 graduated driver's license (GDL).
- Legal Presence for CDL Holders
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration enacted new regulations to improve driver safety. The federal regulations and Michigan law require all drivers who have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) to provide proof of Legal Presence in the United States.
- SAVE Awareness Video for Driver's License & State ID Applicants This video explains how SAVE functions to help many local, state and federal government agencies verify immigration status.
- CDL Self and Medical Certification Because of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, drivers who are renewing, correcting or applying for an original Commercial Driver License (CDL) must self-certify which type of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation they will perform.
- Basic Driver Improvement Course The Basic Driver Improvement Course program permits eligible drivers to take a driver improvement course, either on-line or in a classroom.
Online Services and Information
- Applying for license or ID? - Applicant Checklist
- Become an Organ Donor
- Branch Office Locator
- CDL Self and Medical Certification
- Change of Address/Voter Registration
- Driver Responsibility Program
- Driver's License Fees
- Driving Skills Testing Organizations
- Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Courses
- Obtain Your Driving Record
- Emergency Medical Card
- Renew Driver's License
- Replace Driver's License
- Where to get an Enhanced License or ID
Frequently Used Forms and Publications
- Identification Requirements for Obtaining a Michigan Driver's License or State Identification Card
- What Every Driver Must Know
- Driving Skills Test Study Guide (SOS-360)
- Michigan CDL Manual
- Michigan Graduated Driver License: A Guide for Parents
- Motorcycle Operator Manual
- Request for Hearing (SOS-257/258)
- Additional Driver-Related Forms and Publications
- ¿Necesita una licencia o tarjeta de identificación? (SOS-428SP)