Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view
      Automotive-related Businesses
    I bought a car and now I cannot find the title. How do I get a replacement title?

    If a Michigan dealer loses an assigned Michigan title for a vehicle, the dealer's best option is to contact the previous owner for a replacement title.  If unable to do so, the dealer follows one of the two options shown below to apply for a resale title in the dealer's name:


    1)   If the vehicle is less than six years old or worth more than $2,500, the dealer must either contact the previous owner for a replacement title, obtain a surety bond or court order for proof of ownership.


          The dealer submits an RD-108 resale title application, a TR-121 Surety Bond or court order naming the dealer as owner, a TR-205 Ownership Certification, and a BDVR-108 Odometer Mileage Statement (unless the vehicle is exempt).


    2)   If the vehicle is six or more years old, was previously titled in Michigan, and worth less than $2,500 the dealer may use the self-certification of ownership procedure only if the dealer is unable to contact the previous owner for a replacement Michigan title.  If a dealer loses an assigned out-of-state title or an assigned Michigan title for a vehicle that does not qualify for self-certification, the dealer must obtain either a replacement title from the previous owner or a surety bond.


          If unable to obtain a replacement title from a previous Michigan owner, the dealer submits an RD-108 for a resale title and:


          a)   A TR-205 Ownership Certification


          b)   A copy of the page from their paper or electronic police book indicating how and when the vehicle was acquired for their inventory.


          c)   A BDVR-108 Odometer Mileage Statement completed by the dealer unless the vehicle is over 10 model years old.


          d)   Copies of the front and back copy of the lost Michigan title.


          e)   Purchase documents such as an auction receipt or a bill of sale confirming the vehicle is worth less than $2,500 and qualifies for self certification, or, for a trade-in vehicle, a printed page from an on-line appraisal service (Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, N.A.D.A. Guides, etc.).

    FAQ Categories
     •  Index of SOS FAQs
     •  About the Secretary of State
     •  Automotive-related Businesses
     •  Branch Offices
     •  Campaign Finance & Lobby Disclosure
     •  Contact Information
     •  Great Seal/Authentications
     •  Driving
     •  Elections & Voting
     •  Fees
     •  New Michigan Residents
     •  Notary Public
     •  Online Services
     •  Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
     •  Organ Donation
     •  Services to the Disability Community
     •  Vehicles
     •  Svcs. Provided by Other Govt. Agencies
     •  Electronic Insurance Reporting FAQ
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan