Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    How do I apply for an original Commercial Driver License (CDL)?

    To apply for an original Commercial Driver License (CDL) you will need to show your valid Michigan driver's license and proof of your Social Security number. Acceptable proof is your Social Security card, W-2 income tax form, an employee paycheck stub showing either your name and Social Security number or a military identification card.

    For a CDL Group A driver's license, a general knowledge written test and a combination vehicle written test are required. For a CDL Group B or C driver's license, only the general knowledge written test is required. A written test is required for each CDL endorsement (H-Hazardous Material, N-Tank, P-Passenger, S-School Bus, and T-Double Trailers.) If the vehicle you will be driving is equipped with air brakes, an air brake knowledge written test is required. If you are applying for a hazardous materials endorsement, you must present proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence, and a  Federal Security Threat Assessment

    A driving skills test consisting of a Pre-trip Vehicle Inspection Test, a Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test and an On-road Driving Test must be successfully completed through a Road Skills Testing Organization.

    For more complete information about obtaining a CDL, you may download a Commercial Driver License Manual.

    Related Links
    > Back to Commercial Drivers License FAQ
    > Additional Commercial Driver's License Related Information
    > TSA Hazmat Endorsement Threat Assessment Program


    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  Are wired or wireless earpieces allowed?
     •  Are CMV drivers allowed to use push-to-talk mobile communications equipment while driving?
     •  Are holders of a commercial driver's license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?
     •  What drivers are covered by the federal rule? Drivers who operate a CMV intrastate or interstate? Drivers who hold a CDL? Or is it operation of all CMVs?
     •  What is required of the employer in terms of company policy or training?
     •  Is dialing a phone number allowed under this rule?
     •  Can a driver reach for a mobile telephone even if he/she intends to use the hands-free function?
     •  Are tow trucks exempt?
     •  What is considered "driving a CMV" when prohibited from using a hand held mobile telephone?
     •  What must I do to comply with the new requirements to make my medical certification part of my CDL driving record?
     •  How do I determine which type of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation I should self-certify to?
     •  What if I do not need to renew, upgrade or transfer my CDL between Jan. 30, 2012 and Jan. 30, 2014?
     •  After I provide the Secretary of State's Office with my unexpired medical examiner's certificate, do I still have to carry it with me when operating a commercial motor vehicle?
     •  What should I do with the medical examiner's certificate beginning on Jan. 30, 2014?
     •  What if I am required to have a medical variance document along with my medical examiner's certificate?
     •  If my commercial motor vehicle operation changes to other than non-excepted interstate, what should I do?
     •  Must I visit a Secretary of State office to report a change to my type of commercial motor vehicle operation certification?
     •  What should I do when my medical certificate or medical variance is about to expire?
     •  What happens if my medical examiner's certificate or variance expires before I provide the Secretary of State's Office with a new one?
     •  How can I reinstate my CDL privileges?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan