Skip Navigation
SOS - Secretary of State | SOS Secretary of State | SOS
Secretary of State | SOS
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!

  Abandoned Vehicles

  What is my role as the custodian of the vehicle?
  What do I have to do if I get a call from a private property owner to tow a vehicle from private real property?
  Does law enforcement have to come before I tow the vehicle or can I just give law enforcement the VIN?
  How much can I charge for storage, and what are considered "customary fees"?
  How do I get added to the list of abandoned vehicle custodians?
  How do I enroll in EFT?
  Do I need a checking account before I set up an EFT account?
  When does the EFT transfer get taken from my account?
  If I am not enrolled in EFT, where do I send the $25 abandoned vehicle fee?
  How do I change my address or telephone number with the Secretary of State?
  Am I required to have a MPSC number?
  Where can I get a copy of the TR-52E Notice of Abandoned Vehicle that was mailed to the owner?
  Do I need a dealer license to sell abandoned vehicles, and if so, what kind?
  What happens if I sell abandoned vehicles or parts and don't get a dealer's license?
  What are the requirements to hold a public auction?
  How do I report the disposition of a vehicle in my custody?
  How do I report an abandoned vehicle's disposition if I don't have a computer with Internet access?
  Can I ask the Secretary of State to put in the abandoned vehicle's disposition?
  When do I collect the $40 abandoned vehicle fee?
  What should I do with the $40 abandoned vehicle fee if the VIN isn't on the Secretary of State's Michigan Auto Lost & Found Web site?
  What should I do if I sell the abandoned vehicle at auction for more or less than the towing and storage fees plus the abandoned vehicle fee?
  If the TR-52L was assigned to me, do I have to title the vehicle in my name?
  If I have a vehicle in my possession that was involved in a crash, had been stolen or seized for evidence, when should I report the vehicle to law enforcement as abandoned?
  How do I obtain a TR-52L Bill of Sale if one was not provided to me by law enforcement?
  Law Enforcement

  If an owner does not claim a vehicle that was towed as a result of a crash, or if it was stolen or seized to preserve evidence of a crime, when is the vehicle considered abandoned?
  Which law enforcement agency has jurisdiction if a vehicle was removed from one jurisdiction and towed to another?
  Can unclaimed vehicles that are left in tow yards be considered abandoned?
  Are "impounds" required to be entered into LEIN as abandoned within 24 hours?
  What are my responsibilities if a towing company calls requesting to tow a vehicle from private property?
  How do I report an abandoned vehicle through LEIN?
  How do I notify the Secretary of State who has custody of the vehicle?
  Who is responsible for overseeing abandoned vehicle auctions?
  When am I required to hold a public sale?
  I haven't received the TR-52L from the Secretary of State, so how do I dispose of an abandoned vehicle?
  Is it ever necessary to complete and mail a TR-52L to a vehicle owner?
  Should I discard old TR-52 Notices of Abandonment?
  How do I handle an abandoned vehicle titled or registered out-of-state?
  Who should I contact if the Secretary of State Web site contains incorrect information?
  Vehicle Owners/Public

  What are the significant changes to the Abandoned Vehicle Law?
  When is a vehicle considered abandoned?
  What is a vehicle custodian?
  How can I have an abandoned vehicle removed from my property?
  Can I claim ownership of an abandoned vehicle left on my property?
  Are the police required to tag a vehicle before it is removed?
  Can I be ticketed for abandoning a vehicle?
  What can I do if I receive a ticket for littering of a vehicle?
  Why did I receive a notice of abandonment after my car was in a crash?
  What can I do if I believe that my vehicle was wrongfully declared abandoned or that I am being overcharged for the towing and storage fees?
  How can I claim or redeem my vehicle once it's declared abandoned?
  What is a VIN and where can I find it if I don't have my car?
  What happens if I don't redeem my vehicle?
  What if I am unable to redeem my vehicle within 20 days due to illness, incarceration or other issues?
  If my vehicle is titled in another state or country and abandoned in Michigan, will I receive a notice of abandonment from the Secretary of State?
  Why am I receiving an abandoned vehicle notice for a vehicle I have sold, traded in to a dealership, or donated to charity? And, what should I do?
  Automotive Complaint Information
  How do I file a complaint against a dealership, repair facility or mechanic?
  Buying, Selling, Leasing & Repairing a Vehicle
  What do I need to know about leasing a vehicle?
  How do I verify whether a motor vehicle repair facility is properly licensed or registered by the Department of State?
  Can I return a newly bought vehicle within a certain time period?
  What should I do if I have a complaint about a car dealer or manager?
  What do I need to sell my car by myself?
  Should I expect the used car I'm buying to have a warranty?
  What should I do before buying a vehicle from a dealership?
  If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?
  What should I do before buying a vehicle from an individual?
  Disability Parking
  Who qualifies for a disability license plate or parking placard?
  How do I obtain a disability license plate or parking placard?
  What is the fee for a disability license plate or parking placard?
  How long is a disability parking placard valid?
  How do I renew a disability license plate or parking placard?
  How do I replace a lost or stolen disability parking placard?
  Who qualifies for a free-parking sticker?
  How do I obtain a free-parking sticker?
  Can I have more than one disability parking placard at the same time?
  Can I have both a disability license plate and parking placard?
  Is my disability license plate or parking placard honored in other states?
  International Registration Plan (IRP)
  What documents do I need to open an IRP account?
  Do I have to come to Lansing to open an IRP account?
  Can I use IRP online?
  What documents do I need to renew my IRP account?
  What do I do if the IRS has not stamped my 2290 form?
  What documents do I need to add a vehicle to my account?
  What documents do I need to increase my elected gross vehicle weight?
  What documents do I need to transfer an IRP plate from one vehicle in my account to another vehicle in my account?
  If I need to title my vehicle in Michigan, where should I apply for my title?
  Do I have to transfer an out of state title to a Michigan title?
  How do I obtain an IRP plate?
  How much does an IRP plate cost?
  Does the IRP Unit take credit cards?
  Can I get an IRP plate at my local branch office?
  Can I renew my IRP account at a Secretary of State branch office?
  Can I get a three-month IRP plate?
  Can I transfer an IRP plate?
  If I paid a partial payment, then sold the vehicle, do I still owe the remainder of the plate fee?
  What permits, licenses, etc. do I need to travel interstate?
  Do I need an IFTA decal?
  Does the IRP Unit issue IFTA decals?
  What is a DOT sticker and do you have them at the IRP office?
  How do I contact the Michigan IRP office?
  License Plates & Tabs
  How much will my license plate cost and how are the license plate fees calculated?
  Where on my new plate does the registration tab go?
  How soon should I put my new standard license plate and tab on my vehicle?
  Do you have any advice for attaching a new license plate?
  How do I change the expiration date on my license plate?
  How do I change my address on my registration?
  How do I correct the license plates on my vehicle?
  How do I transfer my license plate onto my new car?
  I have lost my registration. What should I do?
  My license plate was lost or stolen. How do I obtain a new one?
  Renew Your License Plate

  Do I need to show proof of insurance each time I renew my plate?
  Can I renew my plate without going to a Secretary of State office?
  I did not receive my renewal form, can you resend me another renewal form?
  How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?
  How soon should I put my new license plate and tab on my vehicle?
  Should I notify anyone about my new license plate?
  Can I still keep my Great Lakes Splendor or Auto Centennial license plate?
  I sold my vehicle and there are no plans to replace it. What do I do with the license plate?
  How long will it take before I receive my plate and/or tab?
  What license plates are available for order?
  Choosing a License Plate

  What are personalized license plates and how do I apply for one?
  What is the Spectacular Peninsulas license plate?
  Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?
  What is the Mackinac Bridge plate?
  How do I apply for a Veteran plate or a Veteran Campaign/Service Medal plate?
  I'm on active duty. Do I qualify for a Veteran Campaign/Service Medal plate?
  Recreational (Boat, ATV, Moped, etc.)
  When am I required to register a watercraft?
  When is a title required on a Michigan watercraft?
  How do I renew my watercraft registration?
  How do I transfer ownership of a watercraft?
  My boat does not require a title but the previous owner had one. Am I required to apply for a title for my boat?
  What do I do when the information on the watercraft registration is incorrect?
  What ownership documents are needed to transfer a documented vessel?
  How do I register an Off Road Vehicle (ORV)?
  Where do I register my Off Road Vehicle (ORV)?
  Can I make my three or four-wheel all-terrain vehicle road worthy?
  Can a three- or four-wheel, all-terrain vehicle (ATV) be upgraded for on-road use?
  Do I need to register my snowmobile?
  How do I transfer ownership of a snowmobile?
  Who needs a Trail Permit?
  Where do I purchase a trail permit?
  Where do I display the Trail Permit?
  What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
  Vehicle Titles
  My spouse and I just purchased a vehicle from a private party, do we both need to visit a Secretary of State branch office to transfer the title?
  Where can I get an instant title?
  I sold the vehicle; how do I get the title out of my name?
  The person I'm selling my vehicle to is asking that I leave my plate on it so he can drive it home. Should I do this?
  If I sell a vehicle to someone and I don't accompany the purchaser to a Secretary of State office or maintain a record of the sale, and the purchaser does not transfer the vehicle title into their name, am I liable for actions of the purchaser?
  If I lost the previous title before transferring the vehicle into my name and I can't find the previous owner, how can I get a title for my vehicle?
  I'm purchasing a vehicle from my uncle (my father's brother). Will I have to pay tax when transferring the title into my name?
  How do I convert my out-of-state title to a Michigan title?
  How do I register my vehicle if the lien holder is holding the title out-of-state?
  Can the application forms for a Michigan title be faxed to a customer out-of-state?
  My spouse died, how do I transfer the vehicle into my name?
  The mileage on my title is incorrect, how do I get it corrected?
  How do I verify a lien holder?
  Where can I find a recertification inspection to inspect my salvage vehicle?
  Can I import a vehicle to Michigan from a foreign country?
  What vehicles are exempt from Michigan's titling and registering requirements?

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan