Automotive Complaint Information and Form

Agency: Department of State

What to do if you have a complaint

If you have a complaint with a repair facility or a vehicle dealer, talk to the owner or manager. When you bring a problem to the manager's attention, you may be able to work out a settlement.

If this does not resolve the problem, you may contact the Regulatory Monitoring Division, Bureau of Information Security (BIS), Michigan Department of State at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424). You may also file an Automotive complaint online. Jurisdictional complaints involving motor vehicle sales or repairs are routinely investigated by BIS;

  • You must file a complaint using the printable Consumer's Automotive Information & Complaint Kit; (PDF Format) or the Online Automotive Complaint Form, accessible at the bottom of the page;
  • If you believe you were charged for repairs that were not done or were told you needed repairs that you later found out were not needed (even if you did not have the repairs done), contact BIS immediately;
  • If you have not received your title and registration within three weeks, contact BIS;

Complaints involving design and equipment (unsafe or defective recalls) should be directed to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at (800) 424-9393;

Auto insurance coverage problems should be directed to the Michigan Office of Financial Institutions and Insurance Services at (517) 373-0240;

The "Lemon Law" and unresolved warranty issues should be directed to the Michigan Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at (517) 373-1140;

New vehicle warranties, questions on warranty coverage or claims are handled by your dealer or the manufacturer's regional office (see owner's manual or ask your dealer). Better Business Bureaus are also equipped to handle some warranty complaints.

Online Automotive Complaint Form

Related Documents
Consumer's Automotive Information and Complaint Kit PDF icon