Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Lost or Stolen License Plate

    You may obtain a replacement plate at a Secretary of State office for $5. Bring your vehicle registration or the license plate number and your identification. Additional fees are due if you personalize your replacement plate or if you purchase a different type of plate. Auto Centennial and Great Lakes Splendor plates are no longer issued. If you have one of these, you may choose a standard, Spectacular Peninsulas, Mackinac Bridge or specialty plate as a replacement.

    If only your tab was damaged, lost or stolen, a new tab and vehicle registration will be issued for $5. A replacement plate is not necessary in this case. 
    Stolen plates should be reported to your local police or sheriff's office. The agency will enter a message into the Law Enforcement Information Network alerting officers that the plate was reported as stolen.

    A plate can only be replaced by the vehicle owner, by a member of the owner's family living at the same address or by a representative of the owner with an Appointment of Agent form completed by the vehicle owner. 


    Related Content
     •  License Plate Tabs
     •  Self-Service Stations
     •  Transferring a License Plate
     •  Insurance Requirements
     •  Michigan State Park Recreation Passport
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan