Skip Navigation
SOS - Secretary of State Secretary of State
Secretary of State
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!

Lost Title

If selling your vehicle and you cannot find its title, you will need to request a duplicate title using the Department's online ExpressSOS or process a duplicate title application at a Secretary of State branch office.  If processing your transaction at a branch office, you must present identification and sign the title application.  If you cannot visit a branch office, you may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign the duplicate title application on your behalf.  You will also need to provide a photocopy of your valid driver license or state ID card to the person appointed as your agent.  This photocopy will be required at the Secretary of State office.

There is a $15 duplicate title fee.  Your duplicate title will arrive in the mail in 7-10 days.  If you need your title sooner, several Secretary of State branch offices provide instant (same-day) title service for an additional $5 fee.  More information and a list of instant title branch offices is available.

Under certain circumstances, you can sell your vehicle without replacing a lost title if:

  • the seller and buyer appear together at a Secretary of State branch office with proof of the Vehicle Identification Number (usually the vehicle's current registration will suffice),
  • there are no liens (bank loans) on the title record, or, if the record shows a lien, the seller brings a lien termination statement, and
  • a record of the current title is on the Secretary of State's computer system.

NOTE: Your situation may differ.  Please check with our Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH  (1-888-767-6424) to make sure you have all the correct paperwork before going to a branch office.

Owner Out-of-State

Michigan residents who are temporarily out-of-state may obtain a duplicate title by mail.  Contact the Department's Out-of-State Resident Services Unit at (517) 322-1473 for assistance.

Related Documents & Topics


Copyright 2015 State of Michigan