close print view
2014 Fire Investigation Training
The Michigan Department of State Police has been offering training for Fire Investigators since 1980 and has trained over 2000 investigators. Successful applicants come from law enforcement officers, public safety officers, and firefighters.
Our training program is accredited through the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (ProBoard). We are one of only 22 entities worldwide that are accredited by ProBoard for fire investigation training. Training meets the standards within the National Fire Protection Association standard 1033.
In late 2011 a shift in public funding eliminated the use of state funding for the training program. In response, the Department made the decision to continue to offer fire investigation training on a full tuition basis. Our primary focus will concentrate on the accredited training program. The following schools are scheduled for 2014.
- Fire Investigation I (Spring) March 17 - 28, 2014
- The deadline for applications is December 31, 2013
- Fire Investigation I (Fall) October 20 - 31, 2014
- The deadline for applications is June 21, 2014
*** Please note there will be no other training offered in 2014***
Please read the following information before completing an application for training.
- Applicants must meet the basic selection criteria listed on the application.
- Applicants must submit the Fire Investigation Training Application, as well as register online.
- All applicants will be notified in writing on the status of their application after the selection committee meets.
- Successful applicants will be instructed when and where to make payment.
- There will be a maximum of 30 students selected.
- There will be a minimum of 20 students selected or the class will be cancelled.
- Up to five alternates will be selected to fill cancellations.
2013 Fire Investigation Training Application