close print view
Membership Checklist Information
Contact the MPSCS
The MPSCS is available to assist your agency and answer any questions you may have about the system.
For your convenience, here is a link to a printable PDF file of the newest MPSCS Member Checklist.
- Determine your agency's requirements
Each public safety agency in the state of Michigan has varying communications needs. MPSCS staff members will be glad to assist you in working through these needs. Some elements to consider when planning for your agency's radio communications are:
- Timeline - When is the communications upgrade required? Could public safety agencies in your jurisdiction transition to MPSCS in phases, or would your jurisdiction prefer to join at once as a consortium?
- Budget - What is the feasible cost and savings of the communications upgrade? Will your agency be able to secure the necessary funds to join MPSCS? Does your agency qualify for any alternative funding sources (grants, surcharges, etc.)
- Coverage - What degree of radio coverage does your existing radio system provide? Does your agency require that a specific type of radio coverage is enhanced (in-street, in-building, etc.)?
- Equipment - MPSCS-compatible radio equipment is currently manufactured by vendors that offer several different models that range from basic to feature-rich. What type and quantity of equipment does your agency require?
- Schedule Coverage Testing -The MPSCS offers coverage testing to determine how well the system performs in your jurisdiction. Coverage testing is free of charge and only requires that your agency provide a small group of personnel to participate. Multiple agencies in a region can participate in a single coverage. Testing is conducted to reflect objective and accurate results and is the perfect opportunity to educate participants on the features of MPSCS.
- Contact your vendor of choice
The equipment vendor will assist your agency in assessing radio equipment and service needs.
- Work with your vendor to establish a proposal
Feel free to use the MPSCS staff as a resource during this process to ensure that all questions are answered and that your agency's ultimate communications needs are met.
- Order your radio equipment
The radio manufacturer usually takes approximately six weeks to process equipment orders.
- Sign the MPSCS Membership Agreement
You may view a copy of the MPSCS membership agreement by clicking on the link above.
- Schedule template programming meeting
MPSCS radio programming is customized to fit your agency's needs. Before the radios are programmed by our radio shop personnel, MPSCS staff will meet with you to discuss your programming options including talkgroup quantity and design to ensure that your agency takes full advantage of the system's benefits.
- Schedule User Training
MPSCS training personnel are specially trained in the operation of all MPSCS-compliant equipment. The training they provide is incomparable to other programs, as they are sworn public safety officers that understand the realities and demands of the public safety field. Training classes are scheduled at the convenience of the agency and are held at the location of choice.
Related Documents> Membership Agreement 12_16_11 - 152780 bytes
- Project Debriefing - Radios Online
Once the above steps have been completed, agencies can begin using MPSCS and enjoy one of the nation's most advanced two-way public safety networks.