close print view
MPSC Releases Annual Electric Competition Report
Judy Palnau, 517-241-3323Agency:
Michigan Public Service Commission
February 1, 2012 - The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) today released its annual report on electric competition in Michigan. The year 2011 marked the 10th full year of electric customer choice in Michigan.
Highlights from the report include:
- Public Act 286 of 2008 caps electric choice at 10 percent of an electric utility's average weather-adjusted retail sales for the preceding year. Both Detroit Edison and Consumers Energy service territories are fully subscribed at the cap, with 1,793,505 megawatt-hours (MWh) and 3,074,504 MWh in their respective queues at the end of 2011.
- At the end of 2011, there were 7,045 commercial and industrial customers participating in the Detroit Edison and Consumers Energy electric choice programs, down from 7,470 in 2010. This represented 1,997 megawatts (MW) of the total energy usage in those territories, down from 2,043 MW in 2010.
- Electric choice load served in the Detroit Edison service territory at the end of 2011 totaled 1,212 MW, compared to 1,236 MW in 2010. The number of choice customers in Detroit Edison service territory decreased to 5,976 from 6,387 in 2010.
- Electric choice load served in the Consumers Energy service territory at the end of 2011 totaled 785 MW, as compared to 807 MW in 2010. The number of choice customers in Consumers Energy service territory was 1,069 in 2011, compared to 1,083 in 2010.
- There were 23 licensed alternative electric suppliers (AESs) in Michigan at the end of 2011. This reflects the addition of one new AES licenses (Duke Energy Retail Sales, LLC) and the rescission of one AES license at the company's request.
The entire report is available on the MPSC's website here.
The MPSC is an agency within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
For more information about LARA, please visit www.michigan.gov/lara. Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/michiganLARA, "Like" us on Facebook or find us on YouTube www.youtube.com/michiganLARA.