Program OverviewCivil Engineer/Technician Co-op Program
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Civil Engineer/Technician Co-op Program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to gain work experience, develop professional competence and long-range career goals, integrate work experiences with academic knowledge, and establish a professional network.
- The Co-op Program allows students to gain practical experience and solid understanding of work in civil engineering and civil engineering technology.
- The Co-op Program provides an opportunity to earn income which will help to cover the cost of a college education.
- The Co-op Program helps to relate the academic and industrial worlds. A student will be able to see how the information covered in classes is related to industry and government.
To employ undergraduate Civil Engineering and Civil Engineering Technology students on a continuing basis for approximately three to eleven months per year on various development and delivery projects in Michigan.
MDOT is responsible for highway and bridge construction contracts throughout the State of Michigan. Contractors construct the projects, but co-op students will join professional field staff who provide engineering and inspection services. MDOT has a unique program for the student interested in Civil Engineering, Civil Technology, and Land Surveying.
- Open to all undergraduate students currently enrolled and studying in the engineering and technology fields, with priority to Civil Engineering, Civil Technology, and Land Surveying.
- Cumulative GPA must be a 2.0 or higher.
- First year: Students must have earned a minimum of 24 semester credits or 36 term credits before program entry.
- Subsequent years: Returning students must show reasonable accumulation of credits, up to the maximum number of years allowed in the program (six years): Student must have earned at least the following number of credits for each returning year:
- 2nd year - 36 semester credits or 51 term credits
- 3rd year - 48 semester credits or 66 term credits
- 4th year - 60 semester credits or 81 term credits
- 5th year - 72 semester credits or 96 term credits
- 6th year - 84 semester credits or 111 term credits
- Last semester official college transcript and current course schedule to be attached to the on-line application (college transcript is not required for first semester/term students).
- Final official transcript must be provided to maintain employment.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
- Valid Driver's License.
- The co-op position expires upon completion of the Bachelor's degree.
The program may require a Certification in Federal Material Testing and Sampling Methods (involves passing a written and proficiency exam to be completed after hire.)
Typical Work Assignments
In an on-the-job training capacity, work assignments could include performing entry and intermediate level work including but not limited to inspection, testing, surveying, design plans, and project administration for the department road, bridge, and facilities programs.
Work Schedule and Maximum Program Years
Work period could be from three to eleven months per calendar year for a maximum of six years in the program, depending on the department's operational needs.
The standard bi-weekly work period is 80 hours. Overtime, when applicable, is paid beyond 80 hours bi-weekly and 8 hours daily.
Minimum starting salary is $14.36 per hour. This pay rate became effective October 1, 2014.Travel Expenses
As a condition of employment, co-op students are expected to accept the initial assignment location of the season with no travel expense reimbursement. Subsequent transfers to locations more than 25 miles from the initial assignment location may be eligible for travel expense reimbursement.
The assignment will be to an MDOT location/site. Most of the openings are in or near major population centers. Assignments take into consideration location preferences provided on the application.
Complete an online application.
Questions or comments?
Contact: Co-op Coordinator, e-mail address MDOTCofirstname.lastname@example.org.