Highway Advertising (Billboards)
The Highway Advertising Program (HAP) is part of the Utility Coordination and Permits Section of MDOT. Federal law mandates the state establish procedures for effective control of signs along regulated routes. These control procedures are:
- Permitting of signs, displays and devices in areas adjacent to the interstate system, Federal Aid Primary System, and freeways.
- Maintaining inventories and periodic surveillance of controlled routes in order to discover illegal signs.
- Monitoring other signs controlled by the Highway Advertising Act of 1972, as amended.
The intent of the HAP is to protect the public investment in highways, to promote the safety and recreational value of public travel, and to preserve natural beauty.
As of January 30, 2014, the Highway Advertising Act of 1972 was amended through House Bill 4629. The amendments now require new applications to be submitted for Digital Billboards, a new fee structure for digital billboard applications and digital renewal fees, a change in annual commercial permit renewal fees, along with changes in the vegetation management process and associated fees.
All digital applications can now be submitted through your Michigan Business One Stop online account. Instructions can be found in your billboard account under the permit application link. Click here to access the new Digital Permit Application Guidelines and Forms. Click here to access the new Guidelines for Business Owned Sign Permit Applications.
All highway advertising permit applications are submitted and purchased through the Michigan Business OneStop online service.
As of October 1, 2014, all customer service calls related to Permits issued by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will be handled by the MDOT Permit Gateway Center at 1-844-636-8373.
The Michigan Business OneStop (MBOS) Customer Assistance Center will no longer be answering questions or providing assistance with navigating customers through the submittal process.
For technical problems related to Michigan Business OneStop (MBOS), password resets, data corrections, and general assistance, please call 877-766-1779.
For technical problems related to IHAP, please contact Lauri Olsen at 517-241-3028.
- Information on Political Signage
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms (Select DSD Permits-Signs from the dropdown on the left side of the page)
- Highway Advertising Act of 1972, PA 106
- 23USC131 (U.S. Code) - Outdoor Advertising
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Vegetation Removal
- Billboard Permit Payment Instructions
- History and Overview of the Federal Outdoor Advertising Control Program
For more information, contact:
Melissa Staffeld Highway Advertising Specialist P.O. Box 30050 Lansing, Michigan 48909 517-335-2209 StaffeldM@michigan.gov
> Digital Permit Application Guidelines and Forms - 100811 bytes
> Guidelines for Business Owned Sign Permit Applications - 84603 bytes
> MBOS Registration Directions for IHAP - 60650 bytes