Eligibility Certification and VerificationEligibility Certification
All schools participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and/or School Breakfast Program (SBP) must make free and reduced price meals available to eligible children and all schools and institutions participating in the free milk option of the Special Milk Program (SMP) must make free milk available to eligible children.
Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application Forms School Year 2014-2015
The Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application prototype and related materials for School Year 2014-15 are below. For detailed instructions on the eligibility determination process, please read the materials under Guidance.
Required materials that must be provided to households:
Letter to Parents (3 pages printed front to back)
Letter to Parents - Spanish (4 pages printed front and back)
- Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application (2 pages printed front and back)
- Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application - Spanish (2 pages printed front and back)
- Free Special Milk Application 2014-2015
- Approval-Disapproval Letter to Households (1 page)
- Direct Certification Notification
Optional application-related materials that may be provided to households:
- Critical Information for the Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application (3 pages)
- Guidelines for Use in Schools
Verification is confirmation of eligibility for free and reduced priced meals under the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP). Annually, each School Food Authority (SFA) must select and verify a sample of applications approved for meal benefits. The results of verification must be reported to the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) on the School Food Authority Verification Collection Report (SFA-VCR) website.
The verification sample must be selected from households that have submitted an approved "family/household application" annually as of October 1. Verification is not required for children who have been certified for free meals under Direct Certification.