Diabetes Self-Management Education Certification Program
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) is an interactive, collaborative, ongoing process involving individuals who have diabetes or are at risk of developing the disease and diabetes educators. This process includes:
- Assessment of individual needs
- Identification of specific diabetes preventive or self-management goals
- Education and behavioral intervention designed to help individuals achieve identified self-management/prevention goals
- Evaluation and support of self-management efforts and future needs
Diabetes self-management education is a critical part of the medical plan for people with diabetes or who are at risk for development of the disease.
Who is Eligible?
People with diabetes or prediabetes, that are; newly diagnosed, have had a change in treatment or condition, or have never received comprehensive diabetes self-management education (does not assure coverage).
DSME List of Programs
DSME Map – Find a location near you.
For ADA approved programs visit www.diabetes.org
For AADE approved programs visit www.diabeteseducator.org
INFORMATION FOR PROVIDERS
The Certification Process
The certification process is based on National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education, MDCH, American Association of Diabetes Educators and American Diabetes Association requirements. Programs that provide DSME are required to:
- Use an instructional team that maintains current knowledge in diabetes management, behavioral interventions, and skills in teaching, learning and counseling
- Focus on individualized educational planning, even in group settings
- Implement a continuous quality improvement process
2013 Annual Coordinator Meeting
Site visits are made to review implementation of the national standards and to provide consultation and technical assistance.
Certified programs are partners of the Michigan Diabetes Prevention and Control Program and part of a large network of agencies involved in diabetes preventive care and education. Consultation is provided at no charge to eligible programs interested in obtaining certification.
Provider Handbook is available upon request.
Certification Program Coordinator:
Dawn Crane, RN, MS, ACNS-BC, CDE
Apply For Certification
FORMS AND GUIDELINES FOR CERTIFIED PROGRAMS
Required for certification
Program Form Sample Templates