close print view
Self Service Stations
Self-service stations for dispensing of gasoline and diesel are regulated under the Michigan Underground Storage Tank Rules (MUSTR), 1999 AACS R 29.2101, et seq. adopting by reference, the Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids (FL/CL) Rules, 2000 AACS R 29.5101 et seq. Chapter 9 of Part 3 of the FL/CL Rules includes the following restrictions and requirements to assure that self-service station fueling operations minimize the risk of fire and explosion:
1) At least one attendant must be on duty while the station is open for business. The attendant's primary function shall be to supervise, observe, and control the dispensing of the liquids.
2) Operating instructions shall be conspicuously posted in the dispensing area.
3) One or more fire extinguishers with a 4-B:C rating must be located within 100 feet of each dispenser or storage tank fill opening.
4) Warning signs must be posted in the dispensing areas that provide the following information:
5) No smoking or open flames are allowed within 25 feet of fueling area.
6) Only approved portable containers can be used. Gasoline must be in a red container. Kerosene, fuel oil, or other combustible liquid shall not be put into a red container.
7) The dispensing area should be in clear view of the attendant at all times.
8) There must be emergency controls to shut off the supply of liquids. These controls must be at least 20 feet and not more than 100 feet from the dispensers.
Unattended self-service gas stations for "public" use are permitted subject to the approval by the Department of Environmental Quality, Waste and Hazardous Materials Division. The user is issued a key/card which is unique to that user, who shall be properly trained in dispensing operations. Unattended self-service stations require compliance with Section 9.5 of Part 3 of the FL/CL Rules.
If you have any questions regarding the operation of self-service gas stations, please contact the local district office, or send us an e-mail at DEQ-STD-TANKS@Michigan.gov.
Michigan.gov Home LARA Home State Web Sites Office of Regulatory Reinvention Spending & Accountability
Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan