After nearly three years transforming state government, Michigan has become a leader in implementing positive changes for business. We must continue our momentum to change the reality and perception companies have of Michigan and become a top 10 business-friendly state. >MORE
- Michigan Tax Tribunal Eliminates 40,000 Case Backlog and Reduces Length of Appeals Process by 50% The Michigan Tax Tribunal has launched several new systems that will make the tax assessment dispute process more user-friendly and transparent for all parties.
- RPM Accomplishments The RPM program will continue in three phases until it is eventually implemented in every area of the department, and will then expand to other state agencies.
- Motor Carrier Licenses Issued 67% Faster Due to outdated regulations and processes, companies processing an operating license have historically faced delays in the delivery of their products, costing them revenue and negatively impacting supply chains across industries.
- Unemployment Tax Filing Process Faster for Businesses Before new businesses start up in Michigan, one of the first items they must check off their to-do list is: register with Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency to file tax reports. Traditionally, this has been a frustrating and time-consuming process for many businesses.
- Health Professionals Receive Licenses 64% Faster This year, LARA's Bureau of Health Care Services made several improvements to ensure licenses are issued quicker, so health care professionals can provide critical health services sooner.
- Businesses Obtaining Liquor Licenses 176 Days Sooner In the past, businesses that require liquor licenses have experienced too many requests from the Michigan Liquor Control Commission for documents or meetings, ultimately delaying their ability to generate liquor sales.
- RPM Before & After See how businesses were affected by regulatory barriers prior to RPM, and how today, RPM has made it easier to do business in Michigan.
25% Improvement in Regulatory Climate Perception
Survey of LARA Business Customers indicated their perception of MI’s regulatory climate improved by 24% since last quarter.
50% of Forms Eliminated/Consolidated
LARA had 2,259 forms in 2011; 1,157 forms eliminated to date.
Customer-Facing Regulatory Materials
100% of Materials Reviewed
At program inception, LARA had 3,368 customer-facing documents. 3,368 materials reviewed to date.
Customer Response Time
50% Improvement in Customer Process Time
The metric is applied to 29 completed processes, with 78 processes underway.