Below are selected key initiatives that will ensure effective and improved ICT service delivery. They will be implemented in the sustainable near-term future (through 2011) and the intermediate future (through 2014). They include:
Sustainable Near Future: Accountable Management and Performance Refine and modernize the management and governance framework for challenges in support of strategies under goals one, two, three and four.
- Effective and Efficient Customer-based Operations and Services
- Expand current services to mobile devices for additional access to Michigan services as well as providing text alerts (2010).
- Continue full implementation of Web 2.0 technologies within Michigan.gov and help agencies understand potential uses and implement technology (2011).
- Implement a citizen one-stop portal that provides one place for access to government services uniquely tailored to citizen needs based on individual profiles (2012).
- Performance Management, Accountability and Public Value
- Establish a usability lab to capture public/private input on software usability in design (2011).
- Establish formal performance tracking and monitoring capabilities to ensure transparency, identify and manage change opportunities and report on and manage performance (2011).
- Formalize ICT investment planning and management in the project, portfolio and change management process (2012).
- Privacy, Transparency, Security and Public Trust
- Support agencies in developing strategies to promote open government and protect data privacy (ongoing).
- In support of Michigan's mobile workers, provide data encryption for all 12,000 State of Michigan notebook users (2011).
- Complete the development of a comprehensive disaster recovery plan to cover 100 percent of mission-critical applications (2012).
- Well-supported and Engaged Workforce
- Fully implement the DTMB Virtual University, a single and centralized source of professional development, focused on the technical skills, for employees (2010).
- Design and implement a diversity program to improve the culture of the agency and leverage the diversity of staff as an integral factor in organizational success (2010).
- Develop and implement a security awareness program that complements the state's policy and technology initiatives (2011).
Intermediate Future - Innovation, Change and Transformation of Government: Provide a mature, modern, best-practices scope of solutions and enable innovation, change and transformation of government that support goals two, three, five and six.
- Agile Management and Infrastructure
- Implement a desktop virtualization solutions assessment and pilot (2011).
- Develop and adapt the business model, policies and principles around opportunities such as virtualization, modularization, Web and multiple service delivery options for infrastructure, information and applications (2012).
- Implement an automated PC Power Management System (2013).
- Shared Solutions, Standards and Flexible, Open Boundaries
- Develop a geospatial business plan to help reduce costs and create efficiency (2010).
- Pilot the concept of state, local government and school districts sharing/leveraging existing networks throughout the state (2010).
- Expand the data transmission and sharing capabilities using the Michigan Public Safety Communication System through wireless broadband (2013).
- Maturation and Modernization of Solutions
- Foster a culture of innovation and thinking from the customer's perspective. Through practices such as job shadowing, become routinely involved in customer activities, getting to know their business needs first-hand (2010).
- Continue to implement the State Unified Information Technology Environment (SUITE) processes to achieve Level 3 Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) compliance (2013).
- Innovation and Transformation
- Implement MiCloud roadmap enabling services to be more accessible and less expensive (2010).
- Refine enterprise architecture and the information architecture capabilities to support innovation and transformation (2011).
- Formalize the enterprise information management program to take full advantage of business intelligence, awareness and solution generation (2011).
- Develop a multiyear, source, partner and ICT solution and service-funding model jointly with the Budget Office (2012).