• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that each year in the United States, 76 million cases of illness, 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths are caused by foodborne pathogens.
• Reportable Diseases in Michigan: 2013 - quick reference guide A Guide for Physicians, Health Care Providers and Laboratories
• 2003 Michigan Foodborne Illness Summary Report Michigan Department of Agriculture, Food and Dairy Division
• Preparing, cooking and serving food Food safety in the home - tips to reduce risks associated with undercooked foods
• Norovirus Fact Sheet MDCH viral gastrenteritis fact sheet including general information and measures to prevent transmission of Norovirus
For Environmental Cleaning
and Disinfection of Norovirus This document is intended to provide guidance for the environmental clean-up and disinfection of norovirus-contaminated surfaces. If there is a suspected norovirus outbreak at your facility please contact your local health department immediately for additional information and further instruction.
• Norovirus Guidelines for Nursing Homes This MDCH document includes guidance for residents, staff, housekeeping and visitors of a nursing home or similar healthcare facility during a norovirus outbreak.
• Michigan Gastrointestinal Illness Complaint Interview Form Recommended for use by Local Health Departments
• Flowchart that guides local health departments where and when to send specimens for laboratory analysis during outbreak investigations
• Michigan Food Law, Food Code and Fact Sheets Michigan's Unified Food Law went into effect November 8, 2000.