close print view
Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery
No Student Left Inside Day
Who May Participate? Any class (limit of 30 students per class) that has students ages 5-16 years of age may sign up (registration is limited to six classrooms and will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis). THIS PROGRAM IS FULL.
What is the Fishing Clinic? Students will be immersed in a variety of fun, educational activities related to fishing. Approximately 6 stations will be set up, each with a different program topic. Students will take part in a program at each station for approximately 20 minutes, and then proceed to another station.
Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery Visitor Center
34270 C.R. 652
Mattawan, MI 49071
When: Friday, April 20, 2007
10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. with lunch provided immediately following programs.
Programs Topics* will be:
- Catch and release fishing (all equipment and bait are provided) ~ students will try their skill at catching fish on our show pond. Species include steelhead trout, chinook salmon, and northern muskellunge!
- Knot tying ~ students will learn how to tie a variety of knots for fishing
- Casting ~ students will learn how to cast closed faced spinner reels and fly reels
- Pond study ~ students will get their hands dirty looking at a variety of macroinvertebrates in our pond
- Fly tying ~ students will learn the art of fly tying. They will discover what species the different flies target as well as learn about the skill and materials needed to tie them.
- Great Lakes Fishing Vessel ~ students will get an up-close and personal look at a Great Lakes fishing vessel. They will learn about the different types of bait, knots and equipment used when fishing for salmon, trout and other gamefish on our Great Lakes.
*Please note that program topics are subject to change based on instructor availability and that a hatchery tour is NOT included in this special event.
Who will be instructing the programs?
- Kalamazoo Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited members
- D&R Sports Center staff
- Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery Visitor Center staff
How do you sign up?
- Call during the appropriate sign-up window for you students as you would for a regular school program
- It is important that you follow all current school program reservation procedures for this event. Please read all school reservation policy information on our Web site for further information on our school program reservation procedure.
- Space is limited to 6 classrooms with no more than 30 students per class.
- Reservations are taken on a first-come, first-served basis for this program.
Because this event may fill up quickly, please have a second program choice ready when you call.
Special Note: All policies and procedures currently in place for school groups apply to this special event (i.e. event takes place rain or shine, etc).
Reservation confirmation: Classrooms participating in this special event will receive a confirmation packet with all pertinent information including where to park, schedule and more.