About Walker Tavern, Brooklyn
From 1836 through 1855when a stagecoach ride from Detroit to Chicago was a long and arduous five-day tripa favorite stopping place to change horses, relax, enjoy a meal, or spend the night was this farmhouse tavern, located at the intersection of the Detroit-Chicago Road (today's U.S. 12) and the Monroe Pike. Purchased by the Walkers in 1843, the tavern also was a convenient site for local political and religious gatherings.
Today, exhibits and special events at the Walker Tavern historic site interpret Michigan's frontier settlement and stagecoach eras during the first half of the 19th century. The tavern includes an 1840s parlor, bar room, dining room and kitchen. The Visitor Center and reproduction barn offer exhibits on topics related to the people who traveled these historic crossroads. On most Sundays, Walker Tavern offers a real farmers market, reclaiming the site's tradition of being a place where weary travelers can get something to eat.
Changes for Walker Tavern
Walker Tavern, the Michigan Historical Museum's antebellum-era stagecoach tavern, has received a grant of $212,185 to renovate its visitor center, the Hewitt House. The federal transportation enhancement grant, administered by the Michigan Department of Transportation, will allow the Michigan Historical Museum System to preserve the building, create more exhibit space and improve accessibility.
New exhibits will feature the U.S. 12 Heritage Route and the tavern's transformation from stagecoach stop to farmstead to a tourist attraction with a "murder room." The Michigan History Foundation will provide matching funds for the grant.
You can help! Consider joining the Friends of Walker Tavern for as little as $20 for an annual membership. Or, perhaps you would like to donate an artifact that might be used in the new Walker Tavern exhibits.
- Visitor center with exhibits
- Barn with exhibits
- Audiovisual program
- Period and historical room exhibits
- Programs for educators, families and children
- Farmers market on most Sundays throughout the season
- The Walker Wheels vintage baseball team
- Picnicking facilities available
- The Barn Exhibit. Take the online tour of the exhibits in the barn at Walker Tavern for information about the barn and travel during the mid 19th century. Try the kids' activities, too!
- Walker Tavern visitor information
- Walker Tavern area information