Boating in Michigan
- Subscribe to Boating updates from Michigan DNR
- Michigan Recreation Boating Information System (MRBIS) Your next boating adventure starts here! Search and find information on 1,300 public boating access sites and over 80 harbors and marinas throughout the State of Michigan. This site lists boat launches and marinas administered by State, county, and local units of government, and includes amenities, management, contact information, maps, a "Fish Finder" and more!
- Online Boating Safety Classes and Exam
- Harbor Listing
- Download a Copy of the Michigan Harbors Guide
This publication is designed to offer information, location and amenities of Michigan's many harbors. It provides an aerial photograph and short description of each harbor to offer you a view of what to expect while traveling on Michigan's waters.
- Michigan Fishing Tournament Information System This application allows bass tournament directors to schedule events at DNR-administered public water access sites (boat launches, harbors).
- Boat operator age restrictions - who may operate a boat?
Michigan conservation officers and Michigan county sheriffs encourage all persons operating boats in Michigan to enroll in a boating safety course.
Sgt. Al Bavarskas on Michigan Boating Week, boater safety, WGVU 6/10/14:
- The Handbook of Michigan Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Handbook defines the basics of boating, laws and regulations, navigation rules, weather emergencies, encountering other vessels and much more. Safe navigation on Michigan waterways is the responsibility of everyone. NOW AVAILABLE Kindle edition
- Map of Michigan Harbors
- Anglers and Boaters: You are an important partner in preventing the spread of fish diseases and other aquatic nuisance species Anglers and boaters can take some easy steps to prevent the spread of fish diseases and other aquatic nuisance species, such as zebra mussels, by taking the following steps to help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Boat Rentals in Michigan State Parks
Most Michigan State Parks are located on lakes or rivers so that visitors may enjoy boating activities while staying at a state park or recreation area.
- Find Michigan state parks, trails and campgrounds using the DNR's Recreation Search website
Discover a new favorite camping spot, learn about upcoming events, find accessible recreation or explore a new trail for hiking, biking, snowmobiling and more. Michigan's great outdoors await!
Schedules & Reservations
- Make your online harbor slip reservation here Click here for online harbor slip reservations at 18 harbors throughout the state.
Rules & Registration
- Boat Registration
- Boating Access Sites (BAS) Requiring a Recreation Passport
- Boating Safety Classes and Certificate
- Buoys and markers - what they mean ("traffic signals" on the water)
- Life Jacket Rules
- Special Local Watercraft Controls by County
- State Land Use Rules for Access Sites and Harbors
- Michigan Boating Laws and Responsibilities