|The goal of the Product Review Unit is to protect consumers by ensuring that insurance rates and contracts comply with state law. The authority for performing these functions rests with Michigan Insurance Code, which contains various provisions regulating insurance contracts and rates.
• Property Casualty Rate, Rule, and Policy Form Filings FAQs
• Filing Personal Auto Insurance and Home Insurance Forms for Approval
• Bulletin 2008-05-INS Mandatory Use of SERFF for Submitting All Insurance Product Rate, Rule and Form Filings
• Insurance Bail Bond Writer and Bounty Hunter FAQs
• Insurance Coverage and Rating FAQs
• Commercial and Personal Lines Policy Forms, Rules, and Rates Required To Be FiledNew and revised commercial and personal lines insurance policy forms are required to be filed for prior approval, effective on and after 8-1-10, pursuant to Commissioner Order 10-005-M Rescinding 1997 Exemption Order as explained in Bulletin 2010-02-INS. The form filing requirements explained in this bulletin supersede the non-filing requirements explained in Bulletin 97-03. Commercial and personal lines rules and rates are required to be filed pursuant to MCL 500.2108, MCL 500.2406, MCL 500.2430, MCL 500.2606, and MCL 500.2628.
Alternately, an insurer could exempt from filing any commercial line policy forms, rates, and rules by issuing each policy form for the particular coverage exempted with the prominent disclaimer contained in MCL 500.2236(8)(e)(ii). The exception to this exemption is that workers compensation rules and rates must be filed, even when the prominent disclaimer is used to exempt workers compensation forms.
• Commercial Filing Exemption
• SERFF Electronic Filing Instructions and Requirements Access to general SERFF information is available. However, you must log in to access your SERFF work space.
• Review Standards Checklists
• Surplus Lines List - coverage generally unavailable in the authorized market