DHS seeks comment on 2012 TANF planContact:
Jim Labadie 517-241-4287
November 09, 2011
Michigan Department of Human Services today announced the public comment period for its 2012 TANF State Plan. The agency administers Michigan's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families grant that provides public assistance programs, including the Family Independence Program, adoption subsidy, child day care and other benefit programs.
Michigan must submit its TANF State Plan to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for renewal. As part of the renewal process, citizens, local governments and private organizations can submit comments on the plan and its design of services.
Michigan's current TANF State Plan also can be viewed on the DHS Web site by clicking on "News, Information and Publications," "Reports" under "What's New."
To view the proposed TANF State Plan effective January 1, 2012, please click here. Revisions to Michigan's TANF State Plan since the last renewal in 2010 include:
- TANF and state time limits.
- Assessed value of real property must be less than $500,000.
- Earned income disregard increase to 50%.
- 9 year olds removed as a dependent child and the addition of school requirements of a dependent child.
- Persons convicted of two or more drug related felonies are ineligible.
- Temporary deferrals from the employment and training program.
- Employment related sanctions and removal of the initial excuse offer.
DHS must submit the plan by December 31, 2011, and will accept public comments for the next 45 days. Comments can be submitted by fax or email using these instructions:
To acquire a hardcopy version of the state plan, or to get more information on the public comment process, please contact Dale Shaw at 517-373-7338 or send mail to Department of Human Services, Division of Family Program Policy, Grand Tower Suite 1306, P.O. Box 30037, Lansing MI 48909.
For more information, please visit the DHS Web site.
Follow us on Twitter @MichiganDHSor find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MichiganDHS.