close print view
MDSVPTBs Definition of Domestic Violence
The act creating the Michigan Domestic and Sexual Violence Prevention and Treatment Board, defines "domestic violence" for the purposes of that act as follows:
'Domestic Violence' means the occurrence of any of the following acts by a person that is not an act of self-defense: causing or attempting to cause physical or mental harm to a family or household member; placing a family or household member in fear of physical or mental harm; causing or attempting to cause a family or household member to engage in involuntary sexual activity by force, threat of force, or duress; and/or engaging in activity toward a family or household member that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed, or molested.
Further, the act defines "family or household member" to include any of the following:
- A spouse or former spouse.
- An individual with whom the person has or has had a dating relationship.
- An individual with whom the person is or has engaged in a sexual relationship.
- An individual to whom the person is related or was formerly related by marriage.
- An individual with whom the person has a child in common.
- The minor child of an individual described in the above bullet points.