File a ComplaintThe Division of Child Welfare Licensing receives and processes complaints for:
- Child caring institutions.
- Child placing agencies.
- Juvenile court operated facilities.
Children's Foster Homes - If you want to make a complaint about a children's foster home, contact the child placing agency that licenses the foster home. If you do not know that information, call 1-866-685-0006.
Abuse and Neglect Complaints
Call 1-855-444-3911 if you are making a complaint regarding abuse, neglect or exploitation:
- In a child-caring institution.
- In a juvenile-court-operated facility.
- In a children's foster home.
A complaint must allege violations of the facility's governing act and rules or for a child caring institution or a child placing agency, of the terms of their contract with DHHS. To review a facility's governing act or rules prior to making a complaint, go to:
- Child caring institutions - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Child Caring Institutions.
- Child placing agencies - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Child Placing Agencies.
- Juvenile court operated facilities - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Juvenile Court Operated Facilities.
Note: It is a crime to make a false complaint punishable by up to a $5,000.00 fine or imprisonment for up to four years or both. See MCL 722.115l.
If you are making a complaint regarding an facility/agency/provider operating without a registration/ license, you must indicate how you know the facility/agency/provider is operating without a registration/ license.
How to Make a Complaint
When making a complaint, it is important that you fill out the complaint form as completely as possible. Your name will be kept confidential and will not be released unless ordered by the court. You are not required to give your name or contact information. However, if you do not provide it, a licensing consultant will not be able to contact you if additional information is needed. Your complaint may not be assigned or may be unconfirmed due to an inability to reach you for follow-up.
To make a complaint, fill out the Online Complaint Form. If you cannot complete the online complaint form, you can either:
- Print and complete a paper Complaint Form:
Mail it to Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Child Care Licensing
Complaint Intake Unit
201 N. Washington Square, 4th Floor
PO Box 30650
Lansing, MI 48909
- Fax it to (517) 284-9739
- Call 1-866-856-0126
BCAL Licensing Complaint Form