File a ComplaintThe Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing receives and processes complaints for:
- Adult foster care and homes for the aged.
- Child care facilities.
- Child caring institutions.
- Child placing agencies.
- Juvenile court operated facilities.
Note: If you want to make a complaint about a children's foster home, contact the child placing agency that licenses the foster home. If you do not know that information, call 1-866-685-0006.
Abuse and Neglect Complaints
Call 1-855-444-3911 if you are making a complaint regarding abuse, neglect or exploitation:
- In a child care facility (family or group child care home or child care center).
- In a child-caring institution.
- In a juvenile-court-operated facility.
- In a children's foster home.
- Of an adult.
Complete the online form below to make a complaint regarding abuse or neglect of a child in a camp.
A complaint must allege violations of the facility's governing act and rules or for a child caring institution or a child placing agency, of the terms of their contract with DHS. To review a facility's governing act or rules prior to making a complaint, go to:
- Adult foster care facilities - Adult Foster Care Facility Licensing Act (1979 PA 218), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Family Homes, Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Small Group Homes (12 or less), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Large Group Homes (13-20), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Congregate Facilities (21 or more).
- Homes for the Aged - Homes for the Aged Public Health Code (excerpt) Act 368 of 1978 - BCAL PUB-338 and Licensing Rules for Homes for the Aged.
- Camps - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116), Adult Foster Care Facility Licensing Act (1979 PA 218) and Licensing Rules for Children's and Adult Foster Care Camps.
- Child care facilities - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116), Licensing Rules for Family and Group Child Care Homes, Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers, Child Protection Law (1975 PA 238).
- Child caring institutions - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Child Caring Institutions.
- Child placing agencies - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Child Placing Agencies.
- Juvenile court operated facilities - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) and Licensing Rules for Juvenile Court Operated Facilities.
Note: It is a crime to make a false complaint punishable by up to a $5,000.00 fine or imprisonment for up to four years or both. See MCL 722.115l.
How to Make a Complaint
When making a complaint, it is important that you fill out the complaint form as completely as possible. Your name will be kept confidential and will not be released unless ordered by the court. You are not required to give your name or contact information. However, if you do not provide it, a licensing consultant will not be able to contact you if additional information is needed. Your complaint may not be assigned or may be unconfirmed due to an inability to reach you for follow-up.
To make a complaint, fill out the Online Complaint Form. If you cannot complete the online complaint form, you can either:
- Print and complete a paper Complaint Form:
Mail it to Michigan Department of Human Services
Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing
Complaint Intake Unit
201 S. Washington Square, 4th Floor
PO Box 30650
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax it to (517) 284-9739
- Call 1-866-856-0126
> BCAL Licensing Complaint Form - 20332 bytes