Preserving Our Past, Educating Our Future
The Friends of Michigan History
The Friends of Michigan History is a group of diverse people united by a deep interest in Michigan's past. Through members' action and support, the Friends ensure that our rich Michigan heritage will remain a vibrant source of study and enjoyment for future generations.
Who needs Friends?
The Michigan Historical Centerthe only organization devoted to collecting, preserving and interpreting Michigan's pastneeds all the Friends it can get. The Friends of Michigan History provide much needed resources helping ensure continued excellence at the Michigan Historical Center, through educational and other programs within the Michigan Historical Museum System and the Archives of Michigan, including:
annual veterans tribute
- after-school programs
- Archaeology Day
The BIG History Lesson
- community outreach Programs for special populations
- Summer Sizzles day camp
- Harvest Festival
- Haunted History
- partnership with Michigan State University's College of Music
How do Friends help?
The Friends of Michigan History use member dues, knowledge and contacts to:
- Acquire artifacts for Michigan Historical Museum collections and exhibits
- Conserve documents, photographs and maps for the Archives of Michigan
- Sponsor education programs for children and adults
- Promote interpretive and living history programs
What is a Friend's commitment?
Joining the Friends of Michigan History is a clear and meaningful expression of your deep commitment to preserving Michigan's past. Beyond that, you may wish to attend Friends meetings, or become active in program planning or sponsorship. The level of involvement is up to you.
What are the benefits of Friends membership?
A basic Friends membership ($40) brings you all the benefits listed below. Above all, as a Friends member, you will find an immense satisfaction in shaping the legacy we leave for future Michiganians.
Friends member benefits:
- a one-year subscription to Michigan History magazine
- 10% discount at all Michigan Historical Museum Store locations
- exclusive discounts on Michigan Historical Museum classes, workshops and summber day camps
- nationwide museum discounts through the Time Traveler program
- a 20% discount from Wayne State University Press
- Discounts on Collette Vacations travel packages
- Inside Michigan History, the quarterly newsletter created by and for the Friends of Michigan History
- tax benefits when you itemize your IRS tax return
- special invitations to Michigan Historical Museum exhibit openings
- opportunities for travel with the Friends
- a personalized membership card
Join today or give someone a gift membership. It's easy! A basic Friends membership is only $40.
To join the Friends of Michigan History
For more information, please send us an e-mail
or telephone (517) 482-4991.
If your interest is in a specific historic site, you can join the Friends of Michigan History through an affiliate group.
Through member dues, involvement and cooperative ventures, the Friends of Michigan History have furthered the mission of the Michigan Historical Center. See the minutes and the president's report from the most recent Friends annual meeting.
Contact the Michigan Historical Center.