Exploring Michigan's Great Outdoors
|Subscribe to Recreation "How To" (Instructional Programs) updates from Michigan DNR
• Schedule of Nature Programs in Michigan State Parks & Visitor Centers The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) offers nature programs and special events for families and school groups at 10 visitor centers state wide. Interpretive naturalists and educators cover topics from the wonder of wetlands to sand dune ecology, why we need trees and more! In addition to these interpretive programs, we offer seasonal nature programming in 40 other state park and recreation areas. Find the facility nearest to you and you'll find out what's going on in nature this week!
• State Park Explorer Program Come explore the natural treasures of Michigan's state parks with a state park explorer guide leading the way. These fun, entertaining and informative programs are offered each summer at over 40 of Michigan's state parks and recreation areas.
Exploring On Your Own
• Fishing Opportunities in Michigan Learn all about fishing in Michigan, including how-to tips and where to go.
• Recretional Safety Programs The DNR and its volunteer instructors around the state offer several free or low-cost recreational safety programs, many of them required for youth. Find a class near you.
• DNR Visitor Centers, Museums & Historic Sites Michigan is home to some great visitor centers that highlight our state's amazing natural resources, as well as great historical sites that tell Michigan's story. Many programs and activities are offered all year. Check it out!
• Free Fishing Weekends Michigan holds two Free Fishing Weekends each year ? one in the winter and one in the summer. This is a great opportunity to introduce children to fishing. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/freefishing.
• Recreation Opportunities Whether it's hiking, biking, fishing or boating, Michigan has lots to offer those who prefer to recreate out-of-doors. These state land facilities are the perfect place to explore nature on your own. So Grab a field guide and get out there!
• EVERYBODY, Go, Get Outdoors! Here you'll find a calendar of events for our state park and recreation areas.
|Providing fun, safe ways for children and families to connect with our state's natural and cultural resources is what the DNR does every day. Here is a list of some of the opportunities that families and mentors and their matches can participate in to experience Michigan's outdoors.
• DNR and Mentor Michigan The DNR has partnered with Mentor Michigan to provide more outdoor opportunities for mentors and their matches. Just one hour a week can make a big difference in a young person's life. Learn more about mentoring opportunities and organizations in your area. Go to www.michigan.gov/mentormichigan.
• Mentored Youth Hunting Mentored Youth Hunting is the newest hunting opportunity in Michigan. Under this new program, there is no minimum hunting age. Mentored youth hunters are accompanied by an adult mentor who can provide one-on-one guidance in the sport of hunting, allowing for a safe and enjoyable experience. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/mentoredhunting.
• Apprentice Hunting If you want to give hunting a test drive before investing in hunter education, apprentice hunting is for you!