|Before you come . . .Plan a successful field (study) trip with forethought and foresight. These pages provide previsit information and materials. Some activities may be adapted for use during and after your visit, too.|
|Learning from Artifacts It's not quite like reading a textbook. Help your students make the leap to "reading" an artifact. Here's how!|
|Guess the Artifact Practice what you saw in "Learning from Artifacts" with this activity.|
|Museum Words What's an artifact, a collection, a docent, a gallery? Try out museum-speak before you come.|
|Michigan Historical Museum Photo Tour These photos and gallery descriptions provide a brief introduction to the museum's second floor galleries which showcase Michigan history to 1900. PDF pages with photo and text are suitable for use on bulletin boards.|
|Preview Your Museum Visit Let an online minitour of a Michigan Historical Museum gallery be your advance organizer.|
|Scheduling Information What kind of excursion do I want for my studentsa General Tour or a History Excursion? How do I schedule it? Start here for the information you need.|
|Michigan Historical Museum Gallery Map A self-guided tour targets your specific interests. Print this handy map and bring it with you on your next museum visit.|
|After Your Visit . . .Let students process their experience and reinforce their learning while you gather feedback about their museum excursion with these activities.|
|The Two-Minute Survey Use this 2-minute activity to help students process and reinforce what they learned during their museum visit. They can do it on the bus ride home.|
|Make a Mini Gallery Guide Students reinforce and share their museum experience and learnings by making a guide to their favorite gallery.|
• The State Capitol This page at the Legislative Council Facilities Web site provides information about scheduling tours of the State Capitol.
• Greater Lansing Area Attractions Find other places to visit in the Greater Lansing area with links to contact information.
• Michigan's Liberty Bell In 1950 Michigan received a reproduction of the Liberty Bell. Read its story here. Visit the bell at the Michigan Library and Historical Center.
• Museums of the Midwest Find Web sites for museums in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin here.
• Visions of Michigan See photos and learn about the art and architecture of the Michigan Library and Historical Center.