close print view
Major Accomplishments Since HMU Established in April 2001
- Designation of the Pine and Upper Manistee Rivers in the Natural Rivers Program in the fall of 2003.
- Nearly all 101 active hydropower facilities in Michigan have been relicensed by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- Internet information has been developed for people to learn more about the Natural Rivers Program, FERC hydropower relicensing and for the stream restoration projects that the Unit has been working on
- Facilitate several dam removal and stream restoration projects
- Supported the Michigan Rivers Partnership to develop a public strategy for aging dams lead by a coalition of municipal, township and conservation organizations
- Helped to direct and implement habitat related priorities of the State Wildlife Conservation Grant funding
- Developed standards and specifications for stream habitat enhancement and monitoring for effectiveness of enhancement projects, facilitate training for staff in use of these tools
- Proactively involved in fisheries and fisheries-dependent habitat protection and restoration programs with EPA (Regional Collaborative), USFWS, TNC, GLNPO, GLPF, NRCS, ACOE, watershed groups, and other partners.