close print view
Plumbing Contractor License
The Bureau of Construction Codes, Plumbing Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues
New! Applications for these tasks are submitted and paid for online through the Michigan Business One Stop portal.
Plumbing Contractor License
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
338.3525 Plumbing; license required; exceptions
(1) A person shall not engage in or work at the business of a plumbing contractor, master plumber, journey plumber, or apprentice plumber unless licensed or registered by the department. Except as provided in subsections (2), (3), (4), and (5), plumbing shall be performed by a licensed master or journey plumber. A licensed master plumber shall be in charge and responsible for proper installation and conformance with the code. Plumbing shall not be performed unless the plumbing contractor who is responsible has secured a permit from the state or a governmental subdivision authorized to issue permits.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
To qualify for the examination a person shall either hold a master plumber license or employ the holder of a master plumber license as his or her representative. Only an owner of a sole proprietorship or partnership, or an officer of a corporation or limited liability company, may apply for licensure as a plumbing contractor.
The plumbing law requires all examinees to be of good moral character as defined and determined under 1974 PA 381. All applications request background information if the applicant has been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor. When an applicant states yes a review process will be initiated. Failure to accurately report a conviction history will result in forfeiting any rights of consideration for examination.
3. Application Submission Requirements
338.3529 Plumbing contractor, master, or journey licensure; conditions for examination
Applicants for plumbing contractor, master, or journey licensure under this act may sit for examination upon doing both of the following:
(a) Filing an application with the department, on a form provided by the department, with the appropriate nonrefundable examination fee prescribed in section 31.
(b) Establishing, in a manner satisfactory to the board, the experience requirement or an equivalent of that experience requirement for the particular class of licensure by use of a notarized statement from current and past employers and master plumbers.
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
Plumbing Contractor 2010 Exams:
Dates / Location
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 /
Wednesday, December 8, 2010 /
2011 dates have not yet been established.
5. Operational Requirements
338.3531 Plumbing contractor's license; issuance; conditions; requirements.
(9) A licensed plumbing contractor shall display in a conspicuous place at the entrance of the place of business a sign bearing the company name and the name of the licensed master plumber and license number in letters not less than 3 inches high.
(6) The department shall issue an initial master plumber and plumbing contractor license for a period of up to 3 years. The master plumber and plumbing contractor licenses are renewable for periods of 3 years.
(8) All plumbing contractor and master plumber licenses not renewed within 60 days of expiration may be reinstated only upon application submitted to the board and payment of the renewal fee and, if paid after September 30, 2012, an $85.00 reinstatement fee, and $100.00 if paid on or before September 30, 2012.
The fee for the Plumbing Contractor License Exam = $100.00
Contractor licenses are issued in 3-year cycles, everyone is on the same 3-year cycle; therefore, the fee is prorated depending on which year of the cycle we are in.
The fee for a Plumbing Contractor license is $300.00 for the full 3-years, $200.00 in the 2nd year of licensing, and $100.00 in the 3rd year.
1980 PA 497, the Construction Lien Act: For Electrical and Fire Alarm Contractors there is also a mandatory membership fee of $10.00 upon initial licensure and a $10.00 fee for each year of license renewal for deposit in the Homeowner Construction Lien Recovery Fund.
7. Appeal Process
8. Public Input Opportunities
Comments and Complaints: email@example.com
Bureau of Construction Codes Web-site: www.michigan.gov/bcc 
Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan