close print view
Michigan Business Tax
New! Applications for these tasks are submitted and paid for online through the Michigan Business One Stop portal.
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
The Michigan Business Tax (MBT) Act imposes a 4.95 percent business income tax and a modified gross receipts tax at a rate of 0.8 percent, except that insurance companies and financial institutions pay special taxes. The MBT act replaces the Single Business Tax (SBT) effective January 1, 2008.
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
State Tax Commission General Rules (R 209.1 - 209.75)
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
· Have adjusted gross receipts greater than $350,000 (with the exception of insurance companies and financial institutions).
· Accounts registering for MBT with a start date prior to January 1, 2008 will be registered for SBT through December 31, 2007 and MBT starting January 1, 2008.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
· Obtain a Federal Employer Identifcation Number (FEIN)
· Obtain Special Licenses
3. Application Submission Requirements
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
Complete the registration process at least six weeks, but not more than six months, before you intend to start your business to allow your registration to be processed.
5. Operational Requirements
7. Appeal Process
8. Public Input Opportunities
September 15, 2010
Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan